While I’m at school, my diet is mostly comprised of grilled chicken or deli sandwiches. Rarely do I get the luxury of any type of seafood, which is very unfortunate because shrimp miiiiiight be my favorite protein. (if you don’t like seafood you’re wrong)
My mom makes a quick and easy Cod Creole and it’s one of my favorite dishes when i’m home. We buy the vegetables already chopped, too, which makes for an even easier prep and clean up! I love meals that look impressive but are actually super simple. Can anyone say date night? Like I said, we bought the assorted bell peppers already chopped up and the onion already diced as well. Some might call this cheating, I just think it’s smart. They might be a little more expensive, though, so you should probably check that out if you’re on a tight budget! (chough, me, cough.) I LOVE peppers so I would probably buy them whole to have extra to snack on anyways :) Peppers and hummus, peppers and guacamole or sauté them up for fajita tacos! You can’t go wrong. I love that you still get the crunch without all the fat and calories from tortilla chips or pita chips. If you haven’t tried cod before I HIGHLY recommend it. It’s an excellent low-calorie source of protein (4 oz has 21 g what!) and just like most fish, it contains a good amount of omega-3s to improve heart health and reduce cardiovascular disease. OH and it tastes great, too. ( The most important factor ) Its a pretty mild flavor with a delicate/mild flaky texture.
Okay so now for the recipe…
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1/2 cup peppers
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1.5 1bs cod
- spray butter
- salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- While the oven is preheating, chop the onion and peppers.
- Spray a baking pan with Pam or Olive Oil and place the cod in the pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake the cod for 30 minutes.
- While the cod is in the oven, sauté the onion, peppers, and tomatoes on the stove until tender.
- Once the cod has been baking for 25 minutes, pour the mixture onto the fish and bake for the remaining five minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
What’s your favorite way to cook fish? Submit your recipes in the comment section below!