Fall has officially begun so cue me eating everything in sight. Kidding. Kinda? What is it about cold weather that makes us crave fatty, comfort foods? Fall weather also makes me crave my bed, a massive blanket and an overwhelming amount of tea/coffee. Really the only thing that can force me to be social during these chilly months is a football game paired with good food and better company. If we are being completely honest here, about 10% of girls genuinely enjoy watching the football game and the remaining 90% of us are there for the food. Tailgates have THE best food selection hands down. Mini sandwiches, casseroles, wings, cheese platters, and of course chips and dip. I mean that covers all the major food groups, right?
The biggest challenge when creating a healthy recipe alternative is tricking the guys into not noticing. Boys can always tell if any sort of fat or calories have been removed. They have a radar I promise.While peanut butter and chocolate may be my number one food pair, chips and dip have to be my second. I don’t know why us girls have such a thing for chips and pretty much any sort of dip but I think it’s programmed since birth. Spinach and artichoke dip, salsa, queso, hummus, you name it. But today is all about skinny french onion dip. Oh yes.
This french onion dip has been skinnified with chobani greek yogurt because everything tastes better when it’s #madewithchobani :)I paired my delicious french onion dip with homemade sweet potato chips and zucchini chips to keep the healthy theme going. If your fellow tailgating friends aren’t ready to take that big of a leap you can use pretzels, pita chips or tortilla chips instead.
I let my boyfriend and family sample the dip when it was complete and let me tell ya, it was a huge hit. No one even noticed it was healthy because it tastes like an exact replica of a full-fat dip. The only fat in this recipe comes from a small amount of olive oil (monounsaturated fat) which is the kind of fat your body needs. I hope you all will bring this dip to your next tailgate (or party) and tell me the reactions you get! Also, be sure to check out Chobani’s recipe section for more skinny recipes like mine :)
Ingredients For Dip
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz package of chopped onion
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 cups fat free Chobani plain greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Sauté the onions in olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Once they begin caramelizing, reduce the heat and let them simmer. Stir every few minutes to make sure they don’t burn.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 1-2 more minutes.
- Remove from the stove and place mixture in a mixing bowl to be refrigerated for 10-15 minutes. Set aside a couple tablespoons of the mixture to top the dip when it’s complete.
- Add the yogurt, Worchestershire sauce and garlic salt to the mixing bowl with the caramelized onions.
- Stir until the mixture is evenly combined. Taste, and season with additional salt and pepper or extra worcestershire if needed.
- Top with remaining caramelized onions and serve immediately.
Ingredients For Chips:
- Sweet potatoes (as needed)
- Zucchini (as needed)
- Olive oil spray
Thinly slice sweet potatoes and zucchinis. Place on cookie sheet. Spray with olive oil and dust with salt. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes, flipping them halfway through. Frequently check on the chips so they don’t burn. Cooking time depends on thickness of chips.